There is just something about all these flavors that just click! I use pumpkin, Beetroot and Feta cheese in a quiche filling too and let me tell you, it is delicious! I call it My Autumn Quiche. There is also a pizza that Col’Cacchio makes called The Green Genie which has similar ingredients. So these flavors work!
The lovely thing about this salad is that it can easily serve as a meal on it’s own. Making it perfect for a light summer lunch or dinner. I serve mine with Gluten Free crumbed chicken fillets. It pairs really well together.
The salad is quick to make, minus the time for roasting the pumpkin which is about 35minutes. I cheat and buy already cooked beetroot pieces from Woolworths, just because I don’t enjoy having stained fingers! ( I know, ninny!) I hope you enjoy this recipe and let me know if you try it!
Winter warmer pumpkin and beetroot salad
- 250 g pumpkin
- 250 g beetroot
- 250 g rocket leaves
- 1 red onion
- 2 discs feta cheese
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup pecan nuts
- 1 tsp fresh garlic flakes
- roasted seed mix
- salt and pepper
- balsamic reduction
- olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- Roast the pumpkin and beetroot at 180C until cooked and set aside to cool slightly
- In a large serving dish, layer rocket, then the beetroot, pumpkin
- Add sliced red onion, crumble the feta
- sprinkle over the cranberries and pecans
- sprinkle the roasted mixed seeds and drizzle the balsamic reduction over the top, squeeze the lemon and sprinkle the garlic over the top. serve