Sweet potato brownies?
I know, sounds weird, but believe me, these are delicious. They contain no refined sugar and you get a good dose of vegetables too. They definitely hit the spot when you have the sweet craving.
The first thing you need to do is cook a sweet potato. I recommend using the orange sweet potatoes for these as the white ones can have a bit of a weird floral taste which doesn’t go too well in these brownies. You can boil a medium sweet potato or cook it in the microwave with the jacket potato setting. Either way, remove the skin after cooking.
Let’s go onto the recipe.
GlutenFree Sweet potato brownies
Delicious and healthy sweet potato brownies by http://www.bonniesgfbakery.com
*1 medium orange sweet potato – cook and remove skin
*1/3 cup oil (72ml)
*1/2 cup honey (170ml)
*1.5 tsp vanilla essence
*105g GF flour mix *see note
*2/3 cup (65g) cocoa powder
*1/2 tsp salt
*1 tsp baking powder
*Flour Note: Make sure your GF flour mix is a good blend of white rice, tapioca and potato starch and contains xanthan gum. If it does not contain xanthan gum, add 1/2 tsp.
1. Preheat your oven to 180° c. and grease and line a baking pan with baking paper.
2. Place the cooked sweet potato, eggs, oil, honey and vanilla essence into a food processor and process until smooth.
3. In a bowl, sieve the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the food processor and process until just combined.
5. scrape the sides to make sure it is all incorporated.
5. Scrape the mixture into the baking pan and level the top with a spatula.
6. Bake for 15-20minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Optional: melt 1/2 cup dark chocolate with 1/2 cup non-dairy milk to make a glaze and spread on top of the brownies once cooled
The optional topping just elevates it one step. But it is completely optional and the brownies are delicious without it. Make sure your brownies are completely cooled before adding the topping. These brownies are best stored in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 4 days.