Banana bread is such a forgiving thing to make. It lends itself to so many variations and additions. It also lends itself to omissions! Like eggs. I’m not vegan, but sometimes I like to bake without eggs when I am running low on eggs or just simply don’t have any!
what makes a good banana bread
- It needs to cut well and not fall apart.
- Banana bread needs to be moist but not gluggy.
- It should also be packed with flavor like cinnamon
- It should have some sweetness without being over overpoweringly sweet.
about this recipe
This recipe is made using gluten free flour. Make sure your flour mix contains at least one starch and one rice flour as well as added xanthan gum. The recipe also contains a bit of coconut flour and desiccated coconut of which add to the texture and taste. I used almond milk but you could use any type of milk. I used olive oil, but you could use coconut oil or another oil like avocado oil or a vegetable oil. Make sure your bananas are over ripe. You know the kind where the skin goes black and they are just starting to turn. Don’t use bananas that are beyond this stage (the gross slimy, bubbly kind…ewww. This will make your bread taste off).
Gluten/egg/dairy free banana bread
Delicious gluten free banana bread by http://www.bonniesgfbakery.com
*250g Gluten free flour (with xanthan gum, add 1 tsp if your mix does not contain)
*50g coconut flour
*250ml milk of choice (I used almond)
*1 tsp ground cinnamon
*1 tsp all spice
*1 tsp baking powder
*1/4 tsp salt
*120g coconut sugar
*20g desiccated coconut
*4 mashed bananas
1. Preheat your oven to 180° c.
2. In a large bowl sieve the flours, baking powder and salt.
3. Add the coconut, sugar and spices.
4. In a separate bowl, add the milk and oil and whisk until just combined.
5. Mash the bananas on a plate.
5. Add the liquid and mashed bananas to the flour mix and mix with a wooden spoon until it comes together.
6. Grease an 8-hole mini loaf tin with butter or 1 standard loaf tin with butter and grease proof paper.
7. Spoon the mixture evenly into the mini loaf tin or large tin and level the tops.
8. Bake 30min for mini loaves and 50 min for 1 large loaf.
9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tins before removing and cooling on a tray
10. Once cooled, wrap individually and store in an air tight container.